Staying motivated when times are tough is challenging. You've given it your all, but it wasn't enough and now you're facing an even tougher road ahead. While it's hard, it's not impossible to get that motivation back and keep it. Today we're going to share our ideas on common sense tasks you can do to stay motivated even when things look bad.
Tips On Staying Motivated in Tough Times
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. That may be the catch phrase for some well known batteries, but reality is somewhat different. It's human nature to become discouraged when facing problem after problem, and business owners know this better than most. While it's true that we are responsible for how we feel and what we do, sometimes we have some unwanted help from our challenges which makes us feel rotten and unwilling to do anything.
As a business owner, you can't afford to remain unmotivated and without a plan on how you will move forward. Your best choice is to take immediate action when you feel your motivation start to slide, and try out one or more of these tips:
- check your business plan and other goals - take a read through your business plan or mission to see what you are working towards achievement. While right now is probably not the best time to revisit or make changes on it, it should help you to remember why you are doing what you're doing.
- visualise what you want to achieve - your dream may not have come to fruition yet, but that doesn't mean you can't see it! Picture what it would feel like, sound like and look like when you achieve your mission. Visualisation helps us to remain positive and give us the motivation to keep trying.
- have a break - we all suffer from varying levels of burnout, and this can zap us of our energy and desires. Take the time to step away from work completely and have a rest before coming back to the problem with fresh eyes.
- take small steps - big jobs can overwhelm us, so break down those jobs into smaller more manageable tasks. Psychologically it helps us feel like we are accomplishing things when we can check off a job, even if it is just a part of one big one.
- ask for help - there's nothing wrong in seeking support or advice when times are tough. Chances are someone has been where you are now and can offer both encouragement and practical steps to take to help you move forward.
- celebrate the wins, no matter how big or small - it's important that you celebrate what you have achieved. Recognise what you have done by marking the occasion in some small way, be it a coffee out or meeting up with friends.
- find your inspiration - do you feel great when playing certain music, reading motivational quotes or looking at photos? Experiment with different things to see what gets you going.
Finally, a great way to get motivated is by checking out the advice of others who've been in your shoes. Take a read of the advice given by our business networking group members on things you can do when starting a business - including motivational tips too!